Monday, June 20, 2011

The Internet Takeover

For the internet, I can easily use myself as an example of addiction.

When I was in Middle School through my first year in High School I was addicted to the video game "Final Fantasy XI: Online". I spent most of my time playing this game and escaping reality, that I didn't really do anything with my friends or family. I eventually was able to quit, mostly in order to hang out with my friends, but it was definitely a first-hand shock to see how online video games can affect a person.
Final Fantasy XI: Online on Amazon.com

I am also constantly online shopping, sometimes spending way more than I should. I will spend hundreds in an hour on Amazon.com, usually on stuff I don't need. I'll also be constantly checking different store's ads online to see what the next and best sale is. It's a dangerous relationship, and it's one I will still need to work a lot on, but it's probably a lot safer than some of the things I stupidly do.

And, with stupidity comes online dating in the not smart ways. I've used a few online dating websites, mostly just to see what's there, but I tend to not be the smartest when it comes to using them. I will meet people I probably shouldn't, and do stupid things like that. Thankfully, nothing has happened to me, and I've gotten better about being less stupid on how I go about it, but I still need to work on that one a little bit.

It's interesting to see how much the internet controls our lives today, and I'm very curious to see how it is 5 or 10 years from now, it should be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. We're living history right now, experiencing the growth and evolution of the Internet. Effects are both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete